The goal for this project is to offer a OpenStreetMap baselayer for Belgium. This baselayer will be available for anyone using OpenLayers, Leaflet, … Most tile servers have a usage policy meaning you have to use commercial tiles servers (like Mapbox, Stamen, …) or host your tiles server yourself. We want to provide you with a third option, at least for Belgium, that is both open, free and easy to use.
This project aims to host for you a custom OpenStreetMap tile rendering for Belgium so you can use OpenStreetMap in your application without depending on a commercial service and without having to know anything about hosting. We also provide Belgium-specific renderings, like custom icons for train stations and bus stops for example. This helps keep OpenStreetMap in Belgium open and free for everyone.
This custom OpenStreetMap rendering will be available in 4 languages:
- Default “name” tag;
- In French, with “name:fr” tag;
- In Dutch, with “name:nl” tag;
- In German, with “name:de” tag;
Project key events
We first tried using VectorTiles for OSMBE baselayer; it works quite well but I do not think the technology is ready yet.
So we went back to good old raster tiles with https://switch2osm.org/:
- Fork of https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto;
- Edit parameters for Belgium languages; if the
name:de) is not available, the
namewill be displayed;
- Add custom icons/rendering
- Host the tile server on https://tile.osm.be/
- Write the documentation: https://github.com/jbelien/openstreetmap-carto-be/wiki
- Enable auto-update of the tiles (once a week, every Sunday)
Update mid-2017: Thanks to OpenMapTiles project, it should be easier to produce and maintain VectorTiles for Belgium. It will be online in a near future.
- Pharmacy: green “+” sign;
How to use it?
You can see the baselayers available here: https://tile.osm.be/.
Everyone can use the tiles inside their own applications by using OpenLayers, Leaflet or any other library:
- If you want to use it with OpenLayers, check https://github.com/jbelien/openstreetmap-carto-be/wiki/;
- Documentation for Leaflet still need to be written;
Please respect the usage policy!
- Custom OSMBE style: https://github.com/jbelien/openstreetmap-carto-be
- Documentation: https://github.com/jbelien/openstreetmap-carto-be/wiki
- Usage policy: https://github.com/jbelien/openstreetmap-carto-be/wiki/Tile-Usage-Policy